Author: Stacey Kade
Genre: YA paranormal fantasy
Published: May 31st 2011
Publisher: Hyperion Book
Source: Purchased Hardback
After being sent back from the light, Alona Dare – former homecoming queen, current Queen of the Dead – finds herself doing something she never expected: working. Instead of spending days perfecting her tan by the pool (her typical summer routine when she was, you know, alive), Alona must now cater to the needs of other lost spirits. By her side for all of this – ugh – “helping of others” is Will Killian: social outcast, seer of the dead, and someone Alona cares about more than she’d like.
Before Alona can make a final ruling on Will’s “friend” or “more” status, though, she discovers trouble at home. Her mom is tossing out Alona’s most valuable possessions, and her dad is expecting a new daughter with his wicked wife. Is it possible her family is already moving on? Hello! She’s only been dead for two months! Thankfully, Alona knows just the guy who can put a stop to this mess.
Unfortunately for Alona, Will has other stuff on his mind, and Mina, a young (and beautiful) seer, is at the top of the list. She’s the first ghost-talker Will’s ever met—aside from his father—and she may hold answers to Will’s troubled past. But can she be trusted? Alona immediately puts a check mark in the “clearly not” column. But Will is – ahem – willing to find out, even if it means leaving a hurt and angry Alona to her own devices, which is never a good idea.
Packed with romance, lovable characters, and a killer cliffhanger, Queen of the Dead is the out-of-this-world sequel to The Ghost and the Goth.
My Rating of this Book – 5 out of 5 Stars!
What I Didn’t Like:
- N/A – This book is even better than the first!!!
What I Did Like:
- The Dual Point of View – I know I mentioned this in The Ghost and The Goth review, but I just have to say it again. I REALLY enjoyed this dual point of view!! It’s just such a refreshing change of pace.
- Will and Alona – I think I’ll always love these two characters. They’re just so perfect! Alona is really fun to read! Her attitude and the trouble she causes is priceless! But, I really love Will! He is my favorite character throughout the series. If I knew a guy like Will in real life, I would totally date him! Yeah, that’s how much I love this character.
- Mina and The Order – This was definitely a new twist. Their views of the spirit world are so different from Will’s. This, unfortunately, makes Will second guess his beliefs. And, of course, this causes some tension between Will and Alona. That and Alona’s jealousy towards Mina.
- A Surprise – There is a part of the story I really love, but for those who haven’t had the opportunity to read the series, I’m not going to mention specifics and ruin the surprise. Let’s just say, Alona has gotten herself into a major situation. One that could get her into a lot of trouble. But, I think it has (and will continue to) help her character grow. Also, I feel it will help bring Will and Alona closer together in the end.