All right. So, have you ever had it were you’re working on one WIP, but you have three other concepts just begging for your attention? I mean, it’s like having three kids tugging at your sleeves, trying to drag you in totally different directions. All the while you’re trying to focus at the task at hand.
Not wanting to squash any of these budding ideas, I decided to pay a little attention to each. So, I spent the time to give each their own playlist, just as I did for Death Island and the WIP I’m currently working on.
Now, when I work on a playlist, I focus on making it like a soundtrack for a movie. This means using mostly instrumental scores from movies and traditional music such as Celtic and placing them in the exact order of events during the plot line. I may even include a character theme song at the end (like what you would hear during the credits).
Over the past few days, I was able to complete the entire playlist for Hawk, a very strong heroine who traumatic past has enabled her to become stronger and to protect those she loves. This young-adult concept is my youngest idea and is farther down on my ‘to write’ list, but I found myself inspired. I used scores from Ever After, Inception, Treasure Planet, Peter Pan, and Medicine Man (Does anyone remember Medicine Man – with Sean Connery? Good Movie!). I even found an inspiring theme song for her: Hunter by Dido.
The next oldest idea is Sam, she is another young-adult heroine who doesn’t know her strength until she is finally put to the test. I haven’t completed her playlist just yet, but I find myself drawn to Transformers, Inception, Medicine Man, and Ever After so far. These are not in concrete, though. However, she does have a theme song as well: One Girl Revolution by Superchick.
The third hardly has a playlist right now, but has the advantage of being the oldest idea and is somewhat linked to the WIP I’m currently working on. Because of this link, it will be next in line after my WIP is complete (I’ve even started a journal and I’m currently writing random scenes). Though I’m not quite sure what tracks to use yet, its playlist will probably contain mostly Pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3, and – when released – 4 as well as some James Galway and other Celtic pieces.
As you can tell, my selection in scores tends to be heavy on Hans Zimmer. I love his work! I even have the original Cool Running score. True it only has two tracks by him, but still. He is just so diverse in his work – Pirates, Inception, Angles and Demons, King Arthur. The list just goes on!
I love music! It takes you deeper into the imagination and just gives life to whole other worlds. How about you? Do you create playlists for your novels?
Meet an Author Mondayhosted by Confessions of a California Cheer Mom!
Here’s how Meet an Author Monday works:
READERS: Follow as many authors as you like. Just follow the Linky list and hop from author to author. The idea is to find as many “new to you” authors as you can, and hopefully some great new reading material as well. Leave a comment as you hop from blog to blog! We’d love to chat with you!
- Follow the Meet an author Monday host (Cali Cheer Mom) along with any of the wonderfully talented authors on the list.
- You will need to enter your name and blog url into the Linky tool.
- Grab our super cute button and place it in a post. (THIS IS IMPORTANT!) If you don’t create a post for the hop, your readers won’t have a place to comment, and the hop will stop with you. So create a post, paste in the Linky code and start hopping!
- The purpose of the hop is to meet “new to you” authors and discover great new reads. Follow as many authors as you can. Leave a comment and introduce yourself!
- If you’d like to share the Linky list in a post on your blog ( Please do!) just follow the link and grab the code.
- If you have a WordPress blog, feel free to email me for the code.